The Junior League of Lynchburg’s Board of Directors voted to enact a COVID-19 Immediate Community Needs Taskforce (CICN) during its March meeting, which is being led by member Melissa Busse. The taskforce’s second initiative is the Listening Project: Freedom Bags, led by Busse, Rox Cruz and Tracey Langseth.
In its second CICN initiative, the JLL will partner with The Listening to fund goodie bags for each of the 48 Freedom School students from last summer. Each bag shall include one book from Givens Books, a journal, a pen, a snack, a candy bar, and a personalized note from a Freedom School teacher.
Our goal is to give these students something positive, creative, and educational to do during this time when school is out and social distancing is expected, and to remind students that The Listening: Freedom School is still supporting its scholars in a time of need!
We invite you to join us in this initiative…no amount is too small to help local children fall in love with reading, create a positive attitude around learning and boost their self-esteem! Here are a few suggested amounts and what is made possible with your donation:
- $5 Donation – Provides 8 candy bars
- $10 Donation- Provides a pen for 48 Freedom Bags
- $15 Donation- Provides 1 Book
- $20 Donation- Provides a Snack for all 48 Freedom Bags
- $25 Donation- Fills 1 Complete Freedom Bag + 12 snacks for the bags
- $50 Donation- Fills 2 ½ Freedom Bags
You may make a donation of your chosen amount at any time via the following ways:
- mailing your check made payable to Junior League of Lynchburg, 1113 Church St, Lynchburg VA 24504 (please denote for Freedom Bags)
- JLL Paypal Giving link:
JLL is proud to partner with, and serve our community in this time of great need. The League extends its wishes for the health and safety of all citizens during these challenging times. It is by caring for others, and working together toward the greater good that we will emerge stronger than when we began.
Thank you, Lynchburg!