The Little Black Dress Initiative (LBDI) is a fundraising campaign spearheaded by the JLL as part of our mission to empower women in our community. Through it, we aim to bring awareness to and help alleviate the effects on women facing distress, whether it be poverty, violence, or inequality. Participants raise funds while wearing one black dress, or other black attire, every day for the week of October 9-13 to prompt conversation and highlight the effect distressful situations can have on a woman’s access to resources, confidence, and opportunities.
How does LBDI impact our community?
Funds raised are funneled directly back into services that help support women in our community affected by these situations. Last year we raised $6559 for the YWCA of Central Virginia to support their Domestic Violence Prevention Center and SARP.
This year, our goal is to raise $10,000 for the YWCA to support their Economic Empowerment Program through the Allstate Foundation, Domestic Violence Prevention Center, and the Sexual Assault Response Program.
How do I participate?
- Become a participant: you don’t have to be a member of the JLL, we welcome anyone who wants to join us! Click here to sign up.
- Donate: to give online, please click here and select the member whose fundraiser you would like to donate through. Please note, there is a platform fee of 6.8% and credit card fee of 2.7%. You can also give donations directly to a participant, or you can mail them to the JLL office (PO Box 2751, Lynchburg, VA 24505). Please make sure to note the participant you are supporting on your check for tracking purposes.
- Spread the word on social media leading up to and during the campaign by sharing your fundraising page and by using the hashtag #LBDIJLL2017. Keep an eye on the JLL Facebook page for posts you can share on your profile.
- Eat! We are partnering with one area restaurant each day from October 7-13th who have each graciously agreed to donate a portion of their proceeds in support of LBDI. Click the links below for more info. Help us support these restaurants who are generously supporting our efforts!
10/7: Dish (https://www.facebook.com/
10/8: Chipotle – Wards Rd. (https://www.facebook.com/
10/9: Texas Roadhouse (https://www.facebook.com/
10/10: Crisp (https://www.facebook.com/
10/11: Jimmy’s on the James (https://www.facebook.com/
10/12: Blaze Pizza (https://www.facebook.com/
10/13: Mister Goodies – Boonsboro (https://www.facebook.com/
- 10/5: Gladiola Girls Kick-Off Shopping Event from 6:00 – 8:00 pm. A selection of LBDs will be for sale for $49 and
under and themed hors d’oeuvres/beverages will be provided by Isabella’s Italian Trattoria.
- 10/7: Out of the Darkness Suicide Prevention Walk. Participants will be wearing little black dresses while completing
the walk together. For current members, this is an approved CPR – click here to sign up.
- 10/15: Wrap-Up Party at Frolic by Celebration from 4:30 pm – 7:00 pm. A fashion show and light refreshments we be
provided as we review our final fundraising numbers. Raffle and door prizes are also in store!
Have a question or need to contact us? Feel free to email the LBDI committee at email@example.com!